[Nsi-wg] [Nml-wg] Conversation about ITU concepts with Ciena folks

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Mon Sep 7 04:45:34 CDT 2009

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for pointing this out - I have misunderstood the definition/use of transitional links.  But now I really have a problem seeing the point of NML using transitional links.  Re-reading I wonder if this is perhaps a concept only required for George's path computation on a 'flattened multi-layer topology' idea?  This is what he says about this:

"2.4	Transitional Links

The discussion above shows that use of the G.805 link as the topological entity between nodes in a routing graph is too restrictive. We need another term to describe the node – node relationship in the network graph. In graph theory the terms node and edge or vertex and arc are used, and there is value in adopting vertex and arc (or edge) to avoid confusion. Nodes frequently designate equipment.

Inspection of the figure suggests that the links that are important when considering pruning are those links whose CI changes along the link (L1, L2 and L3). L1 and L3 convert CI from the client to the server (and back again) while L2 converts server CI to client at each end. If we include those links, we have a connected graph at the client CI. If we remove those links then we have the server topology left over. It seems that we are perhaps better off retaining the term link, because it has been use so long, and introducing the term transitional link for those links which change CI along the link. This should give us some strong hints when looking for appropriate link semantics."

If path computation is the only proposed use for transitional links then I am not sure that we need to use the concept in NML, or are we proposing another use that I have missed?

Guy