[Nsi-wg] NSI naming

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Wed May 13 03:56:23 CDT 2009

John Vollbrecht wrote:
> I agree this is hard.  I think levels and layers are different.
> Layers apply to protocol layers.  I may misuse the term.  Levels for
> me apply to what can be switched for a given topology.  I.e. A given
> topology allows VLANS to be created ete, by concatenating VLANS at
> each edge point.  The VLANS to be switched are carried on something
> else - SONET trunks, GOLEs, Ethernet trunks, etc.  Level in this case
> refers to VLANs on  one level and what carries them on the other.

A node in a network operates on a certain layer in the network protocol
stack. The node switches, or routes based on (header)information from
that layer, right?

Using that definition, network encapsulated in VLANs are also in a layer
on top of Ethernet (or other VLANs, or whatever you would want to
encapsulate it in).

Perhaps it's me, but I still do not see a difference between layer and
level so far.

Jeroen.