[Nsi-wg] ietf NETCONF group

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Sat Jun 27 07:14:05 CDT 2009

Hmmm...   It does sound like there is a generic NETCONF and then vendor
specific agents that use it for there specific configurations.   It does
seem more general purpose than I had expected.  Can someone explain how
it differs from RPC?

We should consider if the current NETCONF message formats are adequate,
or whether we need a better set of semantics to serve the emerging
concepts of virtualization.   The existing NETCONF formats seem to
provide a transparent message format, but the protocol does not capture
any notion of "state" of the element or "state" of the network as a
whole as particular elements are being initialized or configured...   My
idea would be to define a protocol that sees the network and each
component as having a set of "states" (e.g. idle, configure,
active/in-service, monitor, terminating, etc...), a transition diagram
between states, and a set of parameters that are generic network state
information and another set that may be element specific.    The point
being that the overall network state may be managed thru this new
protocol...   Perhaps this network management protocol could be
autonomous - i.e. each element could discover neighbors that speak the
same protocol and either locate a Master, or discover/initialize/recover
themselves from such information flooding thru the neighbor elements.
IMO, a generic notion of a network topology is required, and then a
state of each element, netwok agent(s) that can act autonomously to
configure themselves (perhaps with the help of a neighbor...) etc.

As it stands, it looks like the NETCONF protocol is really a just a
means to carry messages between a master and a slave, without respect to
what those messages are ultimately attempting to do...  Maybe this is
all we need now, but we should discuss how this "network configuration
process" may need to evolve in emerging (and more generalized)
virtualized networks...

Thoughts?
jerry