[Nsi-wg] ietf NETCONF group

Eduard Grasa eduard.grasa at i2cat.net
Fri Jun 26 06:28:09 CDT 2009

Hi all,

The netconf specification is quite simple, and does not define what is
the device being configured. You can look at the RFC or at this nice
wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netconf), but basically
NETCONF defines an XML-RPC protocol with 7 messages: <get>,
<get-config>, <edit-config>, <copy-config>, <delete-config>, <lock>,
<unlock>, <close-session>, <kill-session>.

The contens of each message (the configuration data in the wikipedia
picture) are not part of the standard, they are left to every
implementor, who defines the XML data that goes inside each message
(taht's why JunOS netconf looks juniper centric, Cisco one looks Cisco
centric, and so on). Therefore you can configure whatever you want as
long as you use the 7 messages above (which are pretty generic anyway).

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Eduard