[Nsi-wg] text for NSI context

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at dante.net
Wed Aug 26 07:35:10 CDT 2009

Hi Jerry,

These are good points, I agree that the multi-layer limitations of GMPLS are due to current implementations rather than being inherent to GMPLS, so this needs to be clear.

In my opinion a well written standard will start by clearly stating the motivation for the standard - this should then acknowledge existing standards/implementations and why these are not capable of achieving these goals.

The trick here (as you point out) is to identify the unique selling points of NSI - these are not entirely clear to me.   One way of presenting this could be to view NSI as a 'service plane' (to use Chin's definition) interface that supports a new concept of service plane path computation.  This service plane overlays (and requires) a  lower path computation layer which can be implemented as either a control plane (eg GMPLS) or as a management plane (eg TMN).  i.e. the unique selling point is that we allow operators to keep their existing domain internal management and we are creating a new layer (service plane) which supports multi-domain path request.

Guy