[Nsi-wg] route selecting (path finding)

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Aug 19 08:18:18 CDT 2009

Hi all-

First:  Looking at Tomohiro's diagram I am reminded of the PNNI routing
protocol where every network element was a member of a group.   Each NE
had a routing entity and spoke to its neighbor(s).   The routing agents
would dynamically elect a "group node" that would speak for the entire
group.  That Group Node would learn by flooding within its group which
of its sub-nodes had connections to external groups and what those
groups' Group Nodes were.  And the local GN would establish an
adjacentcy with its neigboring GN and exchange only summarized routing
topology (no intra-group topology.)

The diagrams with NSAs and Coordinators looks exactly like the diagrams
they used in the PNNI standards ( but the names have been changed to
protect the innocent:-)   IMO, the PNNI hierarchichal approach to
routing is *very* powerful and addresses many of the scalability issues
associated with link state protocols - which are the optimal means for
Path Computation.   I suggest that - *if* the group believes the NSI-WG
must consider routing/path comput protocols, that PNNI is something that
should be looked at more closely.

Second:  Why do we (the "NSI" WG) care about path computing
algorithms?   IMO, in this regard there are two interface definitions
required: #1) The delegated chain model single domain connection
request, and 2) a topology request.   If the user wants to pursue a tree
model service establishment process and do their own PC, they can do it
with a #2 followed by a series of one or more #1s.   And *how* they
chose the #1s is up to them - not part of the NSI.

...Now back to my regularly scheduled proposal deadline....
Jerry