[Nsi-wg] notes from call 8/12

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Wed Aug 12 10:46:55 CDT 2009

On the call were Jeroen, Tomohiro, Joan, Chin, Freek, Guy, Gigi and
myself.

Discussion

1. Joan describe work he is doing with describing NS agent
interfaces.  He is working on slide set and will hopefully be able to
present it next week or the week after.  Some discussion
	- discussed the difference between dataplane which can be modeled by
G.800 and the control plane.  Tomohiro said that we should have a
third plane that describes coordination between NS agents differently
than coordination of dataplane [I may have this wrong - Tomohiro might
want to comment}.
- Chin talked about architecture document being worked on for DOE that
describes a service plane, and as I understand it the service plane
describes all interactions with NS agents.  Interactions between
agents is (I think) always with web services.   Chin will see if it is
possible to share this doc with the NSI wg.
- there was some discussion of how Lookup Service and Path Computation
capabilities fit into this.   These seem like Information service
similar to DNS or BGP for IP.
- This is a subject to be discussed further in the group - by email
and on calls.

2. Guy is working on a context section for document and will have a
draft for next week

3. We discussed  G.800 and NML and NSI.
Consensus was that G.800 was a good way to describe NSI type
networks.  Concepts of G.800 map nicely to NSI concepts.  Guy suggests
that we consider using G.800 naming for NSI.   I am not sure that
works completely, but would be good if it could.  One issue is that G.
800 concept of subnetwork is NSI concept of network.  There may be
other issues.  We should consider this.

We discussed how G.800 and NML interact.  Seems that G.800 describes
concepts that are included in NML schema.  This is mostly done, NML
group is working on details of schema now.  Once schema is done then
it is represented in a language.

Discussed the difference between NML and GMPLS description of
adaptations.  My take is that GMPLS defines specific adaptations in
detail, while NML wants to have abstract adaptations with capabilities
assigned to each instance.

Gigi raised the question of whether G.800 had been implemented by any
vendors or providers.  Jeroen agreed to ask the same question on
Friday on the NML call.  I am wondering the same for GMPLS.
-

We will have a call next week - Wed at 9ET.

please add, correct or comment on notes -