[Nsi-wg] additional call notes

John Vollbrecht jrv at internet2.edu
Wed Apr 1 12:10:20 CDT 2009

A couple additional notes from the call this morning

We had a lot of discussion about parameters and the difference between
abstract and technology specific parameters.
We had a list of parameters in the issues doc, and Guy will edit these
into the strawman doc.

Discussion about the parameters
	- abstract parameters seem to imply a range - e.g. a 100mb depends on
what exactly what technology and network are used, whereas a 10GE
interface is specific about what is provided at least at the interface

	- Tomohiro made the distinction between quality parameters for the
connection as a whole and parameters at the edge point.  Edge point
parameters are things like VLAN or slot numbers, quality parameters
are things like jitter or drops.  Edge parameters are required, some
quality parameters are optional (some may be required).
---

We talked about whether Waves and fiber bundles were alternative
connection topologies.  We had discussion about whether waves were
appropriate as raw input or if waves always started as bits.  If waves
start as bits, then it seems to me there is an adaptation to carry
them on waves, but the underlying "type" of connection is bits.

Joe pointed out that waves were being switched in labs and that
standards should handle the future where possible.  Also fiber bundles
are less problematic and can be switched, and their characteristics
are not bits.

So a question I have is whether NSI should be interested in data
(bits) connections or also in generic connections like waves or fiber
bundles.  This is to be determined - I would be interested in comments.

There is also a need to describe L3 and perhaps L4 connections if we
want to do that.  It might be possible to say these are possible but
concentrate on L2 for first pass of the document.
---

A discussion about different services that are used by and perhaps
provide by a NS included the suggestion by Chin (which seems right to
me) that Topology sharing be described basically for inter NS but
allow it to be used by others.  I think the intent is that we should
include this as needed to support inter NS capability and assume that
will be sufficient for other users.

--\
Please comment or add to any of these -

John