[Nml-wg] Base schema question.

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at surfsara.nl
Sun Dec 1 17:47:11 EST 2013

On 01-12-2013 22:35, John MacAuley wrote:

> Quick question - What was the "BidirectionalPort" element not rapped in
> a "hasBidirectionalPort" Relation element like all the other NML elements?

Hi John,

I'm not entirely sure about your question. Are you asking why there is
no "hasBidirectionalPort" relation? In particular why there is no

  Group (like Topology) --(hasBidirectionalPort)--> BidirectionalPort

relation?

Mostly to avoid any possible confusion about direction. The lack of
hasBidirectionalPort forces users to really distinguish between the
hasOutboundPort and hasInboundPort. (Otherwise, a Topology could contain
a BidirectionalPort, and that BidrectionalPort could contain two Ports,
but then it would be unclear what direction these two Ports would be).

We had a 'little' discussion about verbosity of NML, but decided that
verbosity would be the solution least likely to cause problems in the
future.

Freek