[Nml-wg] XML Examples and Proposals

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Mon Mar 12 17:16:06 EDT 2012

Jason Zurawski wrote:

>> I came to realise that lifetime and version are two different concepts.
>>
>> A lifetime signifies a duration (e.g. of a reserved link), while a
>> version is a sequence number to track updates of a 'document' (where
>> 'document' is a network description).
>
> then why not use the versioned namespace?  Thats why we put versions in
> namespaces?
>
> <nml1:topo />
>
> <nml2:topo />

I did not mean versioning of the schema, but versioning of the
(topology) instance.

E.g.

F: "Hey guy's, this is my latest network!"

<nml:topo id="freekishnet" version="2012-03-12">
   <!-- awesome stuff -->
</nml:topo>

(... After a well deserved night's sleep ...)

F: "Hey guys, I added a unloaded swallow to my network today, totally
putting yesterday's network in shame!"

<nml:topo id="freekishnet" version="2012-03-13">
  <!-- even more awesome stuff -->
</nml:topo>

It has the same identifier, but because it has a different version, you
know which one is the latest-and-greatest.

Freek