[Nml-wg] XML Examples and Proposals

Jason Zurawski zurawski at internet2.edu
Mon Mar 12 14:36:41 EDT 2012

Hi Freek/All;

I am attaching my commentary as a text file.  I will note that this is a
*lot* of information to process at a single time (which is frustrating),
and your examples are spread over multiple files (with references within
each file, also frustrating).  Commentary became very challenging in
this format, A better collaboration method will be needed I fear ...

Given that, here is a quick executive summary:

  - The concept of the alias topo is not very foreign (and a private
topo that can related to some other is a good thing to care about), but
I fear that we are trying to do 'too much' at the schema level here.
Private topos can be protected at a higher layer from being shared.
Because of this, I would claim that a public/private topo are both at
the same 'level', and can be related, and shouldn't be defined within
each other.

  - Defining first order elements in relations is problematic for
referencing them elsewhere (even if they are meant to be private).  We
need to be careful about this

  - Some things have an explicit parent/child relationship already (e.g.
we know a topology contains nodes, ports, links).  Using a relationship
to say 'hasNodes' or something similar is redundant, we know they are
involved with the topology due to the nature of the schema.

  - I see no benefit to the 'version' concept over 'lifetime', in fact i
believe it limits us more.  Your use of lifetime (as a relation) is not
really correct.  Aaron should provide you with examples of how we use
this as a first order element.

  - Lifetimes (or versions) should be associated with a 1st order
element in my opinion, not a relation (which is an action of an element,
and not a first order element).  This is a bit cleaner, and can be
explicitly searched/found.

Thanks;

-jason

On 3/9/12 3:49 PM, thus spake Freek Dijkstra: