[Nml-wg] recursive topologies

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Mon Mar 5 04:18:59 EST 2012

Hi,

On 4 Mar 2012, at 13:55, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Last Friday Jerry and I had a short conversation. Jerry's idea is to
> define recursive topologies, as he described in his slides to the list.
>
> He convinced me that this is a great concept, as it allows for simple
> topology abstraction.
>
> While I wholeheartedly support the idea, I like to describe the concept
> before giving a concrete proposal for changing the NML schema.
> 1. Connecting the (sub)topologies
> 2. Hierarchical identifiers
> 3. Updates and Versioning
>
> Feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> 1. Connecting the (sub)topologies

I agree with this idea, and the option of defining aliases. This makes for a more stable inter-domain topology.
I would suggest that we allow abstracted topologies to contain some hints regarding internal availability.

> 2. Hierarchical identifiers

No thanks.

> 3. Updates and Versioning

In the Automated GOLE experiments I've found that being able to see a version of the topology used would be a nice feature. Currently the demo still uses a centralized topology, so knowing the used version is more important. Still, knowing when your neighbor last updated their topology can help debugging issues. So I think it would be a nice feature to have, although not necessarily something that we'd include in the schema itself though.

Jeroen.