[Nml-wg] id/idRef

Aaron Brown aaron at internet2.edu
Wed Jul 18 10:43:03 EDT 2012

On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

>>> So you want to use idRef ONLY for pointers to another document, or also
>>> pointers within the same document?
>
> [...]
>
>> I think the difference is in saying "i've created a new element right
>> here with id X" vs. "i'm referencing an element with id X that is
>> defined elsewhere". I think this is where it dovetails with inheritence.
>> It's basically letting people know "i'm defining 0 or more attributes
>> about this element, but you need to go elsewhere to find the rest of the
>> attributes".
>
> So how to put this info into RDF? Remember, there is no id/idRef in RDF.
>
> I previously proposed something along the lines of:
>
>>  urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:somepointer   nml:isauthoritative   "False"
>
> but that got rejected, since "authority" was not the correct wording.
> Could either of you come up with a better proposal or wording?

Instead of saying "i'm authoritative" or "i'm not authoritative". How about making inheritance a first-order relationship? e.g.

<nml:BidirectionalLink id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:mylink">
 <nml:Link><nml:Relation type="inherits">urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:mylink-a-to-b</Relation></nml:Link>
 <nml:Link><nml:Relation type="inherits">urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:mylink-b-to-a</Relation></nml:Link>
</nml:BidirectionalLink>
<nml:Link id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:mylink-a-to-b">
 <nml:name>A to B</nml:name>
</nml:Link>
<nml:Link id="urn:ogf:network:example.net:2012:mylink-b-to-a">
 <nml:name>B to A</nml:name>
</nml:Link>

The idRef thing could get used as a shortcut if we wanted to simplify it in the XML-case.

Cheers,
Aaron

> Thanks,
> Freek

ESCC/Internet2 Joint Techs
July 15-19, 2012 - Palo Alto, California
Hosted by Stanford University
http://events.internet2.edu/2012/jt-stanford/