[Nml-wg] NML feedback

Aaron Brown aaron at internet2.edu
Thu Jul 12 07:25:45 EDT 2012

This syntax seems reasonable. My only minor niggle is i'd prefer it be 'type' instead of 'labelType' since it's an attribute of a label construct, and adding 'label' to it seems redundant.

Cheers,
Aaron

On Jul 10, 2012, at 8:34 AM, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> [Please post counter proposals also to
> https://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/artf6495]
>
> I have recently distributed some NML example topologies to people
> outside of the NML developers. This included label definitions like:
>
>  <nml:label>
>    <nml:parameter
> name="type">http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/ethernet/vlan</nml:parameter>
>    <nml:parameter name="values">1780-1783</nml:parameter>
>  </nml:label>
>

> Some of the feedback was that the label syntax was too verbose, and the
> alternative was akin to the original proposal:
>
>  <nml:label
> labelType="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/ethernet/vlan">1780-1783</nml:label>
>
> This in combination with a recent majority on the NML mailing list who
> favoured a relative flat syntax for label ranges ("1780-1783" instead of
> simple alternative is possible. To that end, I posed two complex label
> definitions, to see how those can be described:
>

> 1. IP does not describe resource labels, but a source + destination
> label pair. How to describe a label pair with "source IP 145.100.124.38
> and destination IP 193.10.252.66"?
>
> 2. WDM channel not only have a (central) frequency (or central
> wavelength) but also a given frequency bandwidth, the spacing. How to
> specify the these (ITU-gridless) wavelengths: "The wavelengths with
> 193.0, 193.1 and 193.2 central frequency with 100 GHz spacing, and
> another wavelength at 193.275 central frequency with 50 GHz spacing".
>

> After some thinking, here is a proposal:
> (sorry for the quoting, this prevents wrapping in my mail client)
>
>> 1. <nml:label labeltype="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/ip/ipv4"><source>145.100.124.38</source><destination>193.10.252.66</destination></nml:label>
>>
>> 2. <nml:labelgroup labeltype="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/dwdm/frequency">193.0-193.2±0.05,193.275±0.025</nml:label>
>>   (or the alternative if we don't want a non-ASCII "±" sign, and like to see the spacing rather than half the spacing):
>>   <nml:labelgroup labeltype="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/dwdm/frequency">193.0-193.2~0.1,193.275~0.05</nml:label>
>

> In conclusion, I think that the shorter variant can be done, as long as
> we specify per labeltype what the syntax is. I recommend to distinguish
> between nml:label and nml:labelgroup, now that the
> type="value"/type="values" is no longer there to distinguish between a
> label and a label group.
>
> Regards,
> Freek

ESCC/Internet2 Joint Techs
July 15-19, 2012 - Palo Alto, California
Hosted by Stanford University
http://events.internet2.edu/2012/jt-stanford/