[Nml-wg] NMLify of AutoGOLE topology

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Wed Feb 22 16:53:55 EST 2012

Jerry Sobieski wrote:

> What is a "bidirectional port"?   It is really two ports
> bound together for purposes of ... what?

A NML bidirectionalport currently only groups two nml:ports.
The sole purpose is that you can stick a name to it. Nothing more.

NML, as is currently stands is pure unidirectional. E.g. it is not yet
possible to say that a nml:bidirectionalport it is attached to
nml:bidirectionallink (which also exists). You need to describe those
relations using the underlying unidirectional ports and links.

We're not overly thrilled with this restriction, but we postponed the
addition of a bidirectional component till we solved other problems
first, like getting more experience with the switching capabilities and
adaptations we defined at OGF 33, or the integration with the NSI
control plane. Adding more headaches because of mixing directionality
("how do I connect my single bidirectional port to your two
unidirectional ports?") have less priority.

> Topo X1. [...]
>
> Topo X2a & X2b.  [...]
>
> TopoX3.  [...]

These are useful, but take time to create.  Even though I like to, I am
currently not able to take this up as volunteer.

Freek