[Nml-wg] NMLify of AutoGOLE topology

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Feb 22 15:19:13 EST 2012

On 2/22/12 2:11 PM, Freek Dijkstra wrote:
> Roman Łapacz wrote:
>
>>> 1. The resulting topology file has three layers:
>>>    - NML topology
>>>    - dtox NSNetwork
>>>    - dtox NSA
>>>    I really like the clear distinction between the data plane (NML) and
>>> control plane (dtox/NSI). However, I wonder if we should move this to
>>> two layers, perhaps merging dtox:NSNetwork and nml:topology.
>> I'm not sure of this distinction if nml:bidirectionalport is STP (I have
>> a problem with this: dtox:hasSTP in dtox:NSNetwork points at
>> nml:bidirectionalport; moving from dtox to nml domain does not look
>> right to me in this case).
> I agree that this looks strange, and should be fixed. But before we can
> fix it, we should decide if the above three concepts are truly distinct
> and should remain as-is, or perhaps should be merged somehow.
>
> My hope is that we can merge NML:topology with dtox:NSNetwork, but for
> that to decide, at least I need a better understanding what a NSNetwork
> represents.
>
> If I'm correct, a NSNetwork represents the abstracted transport
> capability of some data plane (typically under control by a given NSA).
> I think that NML:Topology is able to represent that. However, it should
> be said that a NML:Topology can also represent a non-abstracted data
> plane. In my mind, that's not an issue, but I like to hear input from
> others.
Exactly.  I view a topology as [initially] an abstract domain that
comprises a comprehensive but finite switching function between points
at its boundary.   We can map those points to co-registered points in
another topology that expresses some other aspects - perhaps
geolocation, or internal connectivity, or policy-based capabilities, or
a combination thereof.  A perfect example would be a simple abstract
topology announced publicly that mapsTo a much more detailed internal
physical topology that the local network wishes to manage itself.   The
NSA is the agent that speaks to other NSAs inter-domain (at whatever
domain level we are at) and translates as necessary to local agents that
do the dirty work internally.
It is important IMO that NML be recursive and abstract in this manner as
well as able to capture physical hdw engineering trappings.    It looks
like it is very close to being able to do this.

I am not so concerned about whether these are NML constructs or NSI
constructs or DTOX...  Its the overall ontology I think that must be
well considered and well integrated.   THis recursion I mention above
does not necessarilly hide detail, it organizes it.  It can be exposed
or hidden as the parties deem appropriate.   But the representation
allows and enables the networks to describe and share the topology as
they see fit.

>> All elements in the example belong to NSI
>> abstraction (links are SDPs, ports STPs; except VCard part). To me
>> distinction is between NSI topology (represented by STP, SDP, NSNetwork,
>> NSA) and internal domain topology which is hidden under mapTo relation.
> What do you mean with a mapTo relation? A mapping from an abstracted to
> an actual topology?
>
> One of the discussions we should have tomorrow is if NML is capable of
> describing abstracted topologies or not. I personally think it can; I
> also think it should: NML about exchanging topology data, and there are
> substantial benefits in only exchanging abstracted topologies over
> exchanging the actual topology implementation.
Agreed.  Well said.