[Nml-wg] NMLify of AutoGOLE topology

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Wed Feb 22 04:52:01 EST 2012

Hi all,

I've tried to NML-ify the AutoGOLE topology. I did in RDF/XML because
that is probably readable by both OWL and XML folks.

Below are the steps I took in detail, along with intermediate results
(which may help in understanding the differences).

The main changes are:
- made ports and link unidirectional, per NML specs.
- use explicit link object to describe the SDP
  (NML has no connectedTo concept)
- change the urn:ogf:network identifiers to a valid syntax,
  the ones currently in AutoGOLE use are not valid according
  to proposed standard nor previous use in either GLIF or
  perfSONAR community.

The file AutoGOLE-Topo-2012-02-22.rdf gives the result so far.

Notes:

1. The resulting topology file has three layers:
  - NML topology
  - dtox NSNetwork
  - dtox NSA
  I really like the clear distinction between the data plane (NML) and
control plane (dtox/NSI). However, I wonder if we should move this to
two layers, perhaps merging dtox:NSNetwork and nml:topology.
2. The dtox:hasSTP relation now points to a nml:bidirectionalport. NML
defines a similar "hasPort" relation between a nml:Topology and
nml:Port. (and there is some discussion to differentiate between
hasOutboundPort and hasInboundPort). If dtox:NSNetwork and nml:topology
are merged, I recommend to use these relations.
3. Yet unclear how exactly to tie Ethernet specifics to the examples, it
seems prudent to use labels and the subnetwork concept as discussed in
the NML-WG in Lyon (see subversion:
https://forge.ogf.org/svn/repos/nml-examples/20110922/other_examples/configured_vlan.xml;
you need a gridforge login. Drop me a line if you can't access it.)

Regards,
Freek Dijkstra