[Nml-wg] Example topology of Automated GOLE

Roman Łapacz romradz at man.poznan.pl
Thu Feb 16 10:35:30 EST 2012

W dniu 2012-02-15 15:56, Jerry Sobieski pisze:

> On 2/15/12 8:24 AM, Roman Łapacz wrote:
>> W dniu 2012-02-15 14:12, Jerry Sobieski pisze:
>>> I am very nervous about this - we deliberatly did *NOT* use "port"
>>> in NSI because of the overloaded connotation. The Service
>>> Termination Point in NSI is *not* a port. ...not in the physical
>>> sense.   So we need to understand what a NML "port" represents.
>>
>> port in the nml-nsi namespace is not physical. This is an abstraction
>> and represents STP. We could introduce new element nml-nsi:stp but is
>> it really necessary?
>>
> Ah, ok...the abstraction is good.  (Thanks both Roman and Freek in
> explaining this.)   This was much of my concern.    But lets discuss
> tomorrow in more detail as there are still some other aspects of NML
> "ports" we need to understand/reconcile.
>
> Some further background on NSI notions:
>
> In NSI, the STP is indeed an interface at the edge of a network
> service domain - it identifies uniquely where user data enters or
> exits a service domain.   The STPs associated with a network service
> define the boundary of that NSI service domain.    STPs "mapTo" an
> internally defined tuple that represents the internal specifics
> associated with that Service Termination Point.   For instance, an STP
> "NorthernLight:ams-80" would mapTo <switch, mx80-CPH>, <blade, 0>,
> <port, 2>, <vlan, 1780>.   This entire tuple is the internal
> topological information represented by that STP.   (Note- the internal
> tuple specification is a local network internal issue relevant to the
> specific infrastructure or software being used.)
>
> Inter-domain peering between two networks is expressed via a Service
> Demarcation Point "SDP".   An SDP pairs two corresponding STPs - one
> in each network.   SDPs indicate adjacencies between NSI network
> services, and differentiate the paths that exist between two networks
> (or that originate or terminate at a network.)   SDPs are *not*
> physical links (circuits, fibers, etc) between networks - SDPs are
> /relations/ that identify a common topological interface between two
> domains - i.e. the two STPs that are part of an SDP represent the
> *same* topological location - albeit from different name spaces and
> with different internal mapsTo info.  For example, an SDP might look
> like this: < NorthernLight:ams-80, NetherLight:cph-80 >   In the OWL
> topology, this SDP would be expressed as NorthernLight:ams-80
> "connectsTo" NetherLight:cph-80.   Thus it is found in an
> NorthernLight:ams-80 STP object.  A similar SDP would be defined in
> the NetherLight domain.   These STP names are just strings, but they
> "mapTo" the internal physical details of the terminus, and they
> "connectTo" the corresponding STP in another network.   (Note:  NSI is
> developing an "enumeration" construct that will allow a compact SDP
> representation of large groups of peering STPs...e.g. where two
> networks terminate a physical link that carries large number of VLAN
> IDs. perhaps we can discuss this too at the NML call thursday.?)

I was thinking about this grouping. To better understand the problem
I've created an example presenting simple solution. I wasn't involved in
the NSI discussion on this so that piece of xml may be far away from
that what you want. But your comments let me see your ideas of solving this.

Cheers,
Roman