[Nml-wg] Example topology of Automated GOLE

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Thu Feb 16 10:33:48 EST 2012

Jeff W. Boote wrote:

> Computers don't care if this is 'Next' or 'ConnectedTo'.

I think the issue ad hand is unfortunately a bit more complex.

The question at hand is basically how to describe the following (with
apologies with my poor ASCII art skills)

port A    link X    port B    link Y    port C
  O------------------>O------------------>O

Roman described this as:

 Port A
    relation=next/connectTo
        port B
 Port B
    relation=next/connectTo
        port C

In the NML schema it is currently defined as:

 link X
    relation=source
        port A
    relation=sink
        port B
 link Y
    relation=source
        port B
    relation=sink
        port C

Previous year I noticed some reluctance in describing both Ports and
Links in examples, and asked if there was need to simplify as follows:

 link X
    relation=serialcompound
        link Y

(After which the discussion ended in "that's a might ugly word
`serialcompound' there, that's how G.800 defined it and I wasn't
creative enough to come up with something better".)

At this moment, neither "serialcompound" nor "connectTo" are valid NML
constructs.

What I'm saying is that I would regret seeing all three options as "valid".

The current source/sink think is most flexible, but I'm happy to
consider alternatives. Please discuss.

Regards,
Freek