[Nml-wg] Example topology of Automated GOLE

Roman Łapacz romradz at man.poznan.pl
Thu Feb 16 07:39:29 EST 2012

W dniu 2012-02-16 13:16, Freek Dijkstra pisze:
> Roman Łapacz wrote:
>
>> I'm sending you my first try of mapping owl topology desc into nml.
>> Please, treat this as a start point for further discussion in order to
>> get the final proposal for the NSI team.
> Hi Roman,

Hi Freek,

> I have three main comments for now.
>
> 1. You use the nml "next" relation to signify a network connections. The
> "next" relation is already in use to describe something else: the order
> in XML lists (as such it is merely a syntactic construct, instead of an
> actual connection/relation between network elements). This was proposed
> in Salt Lake City last year, and agreed upon by a small margin.

I replaced  that with nml-nsi:type="connectedTo" (suggested by Jeroen).
See my last update.
But even if we wanted to use "next" I wouldn't see the problem in using
it for network connections and lists (in fact, network connections are
the lists of ports or links).

> 2. You seem to define network ports and create relations between them to
> define a network topology. The NML method is instead to define the
> links, and create relations between them to define a network topology.
> You can either connect two links using a port, or connect them directly
> together (which is slightly shorter to describe circuits through a network).

I wanted to be as close as possible to the example that Jeroen sent. I
believe that NML should be flexible and allow creating relations between
ports or links. I see (this is my vision) NML as a set of components
that you can use to build various complex topology structures according
to the needs raised by users (in this case NSI).

> 3. As Jeroen mentioned, I would refer to vCard for defining contacts,
> and XML (or OWL) schemas are great in combining multiple schemas in one
> document.

Done. See my last update.

Roman