[Nml-wg] NML terminology: Port vs Interface

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Tue Sep 27 10:03:36 CDT 2011

Hello,

My final 2 cents on the debate:

The issue was raised in two separate projects which are looking to adopt NML for infrastructure description.
These projects aim to have users as active writers of topology descriptions, not just passive consumers of measured data.
The confusion is that these users are more accustomed to the use of "port" in the context of a UDP or TCP port, not as a network attachment point.

The concept of a UDP or TCP port would actually probably translate to a Label and not a Port/Interface if we would use it in a network description.

Looking at GENI, and especially ProtoGENI as the leading candidate, they seem to go for Interface as well.

That being said, the world will not end if we choose Port. Those projects will probably use Interface anyway, but just semantically match it to nml:Port if necessary.

Jeroen.