[Nml-wg] NML terminology: Port vs Interface

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Mon Oct 10 03:16:46 CDT 2011

Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> A few years ago the NML group agreed to describe an object equal to the
> G.800 "Forwarding Point", but name it "Port", after prior usage in the
> NM-WG.
>
> Recently, it was proposed to rename this object to "Interface", after
> some confusion over the term "Port" in two projects.
>
> To end this discussion, I ask everyone reading this mail to vote what
> they think is the best term. [...]

The results are in and have not changed since last week.
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/results.pl?id=E_74473334af268499

Thank you to all who took the time to cast their vote.

There is a tie between Port and Interface, with all other options deemed
less acceptable by a majority.

Since no-one preferred the "further discussion", I think we should move
on to more useful discussions. No majority could be found to change the
current terminology, so I see no reason to go through that trouble.

We keep the term "Port", and I gladly close this discussion.

For what it is worth: I had a slight personal preference for
"Interface", but if you read IEEE and ITU documentation, you will see
that "Port" or "Point" are more common names (eg. Bridge Port in
Ethernet, or Forwarding Point and Forwarding Port in G.800).

Regards,
Freek