[Nml-wg] Session notes for NML

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Mon Aug 29 08:44:23 CDT 2011

On 16 Aug 2011, at 15:58, Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>> Someone, I believe it was Jeroen but I could be wrong, noted that the
>> UML diagrams only allowed a single item in a relationship.  Since many
>> of our latest examples and thoughts revolved around being able to relate
>> multiple items, I proposed that the UML diagram be altered to account
>> for this.
>
> Ah, thanks!
> Indeed that is true and has to be changed. Thanks for the reminder.

I've updated the UML diagram to account for this:

- added "next" relation from NO to NO (Network Object)
- added 1 as value for "from"
- added 1..* as value for "to"

After some extensive searching today I also have to conclude that OWL2 does not have any support for lists in itself[1]. The only design pattern I could find[2] is basically the "next" relation that we've defined here.

Jeroen.

[1]: Yes, RDF supports Alt, Bag, Seq and List. OWL (1) then goes on to define them out of scope, unless you want to be in OWL Full. OWL2 does not define anything regarding lists or sequences, I guess they still follow the idea from OWL 1 and disallow them unless you want to use OWL Full. Since that would basically preclude NML from being used in OWL-reasoners, I'd rather not go for that unless absolutely necessary.

[2]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/NOTE-swbp-n-aryRelations-20060412/#pattern2