[Nml-wg] NML base in the rnc schema

Roman Łapacz romradz at man.poznan.pl
Tue Apr 26 09:11:10 CDT 2011

W dniu 2011-04-22 23:40, Aaron Brown pisze:
> Hey Roman,

Hi Aaron,

> Overall, it looks good. A few questions on the schema.
>
> 1. It'd be good if StartTime/EndTime/Duration were specified
> explicitly instead of being anyElement* (e.g. an xsd:string that
> contains a unix timestamp)

I did this way to have it very generic. The UML diagram from
nml-base.pdf does not define too much details. For Lifetime it has only
"sequence of (start,end)".

>     - Relatedly, is there any reason to have both Duration and EndTime
> instead of just one or the other?

I took it from
https://svn.internet2.edu/svn/nmwg/trunk/nmwg/schema/rnc/topo/nmtypes.rnc.

> 2. Apparently, in the US, zip codes can have a different form than
> just an integer. 5 digits, a hyphen and 4 digits (e.g. 20037-8001):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_code#ZIP.2B4

I took it from
https://svn.internet2.edu/svn/nmwg/trunk/nmwg/schema/rnc/topo/nmtopo_base.rnc.
This can be updated.

> 3. What's the expected use of the 'type' element in 'link'?

I took this attribute from the NML's UML diagram. It may have at least
two values: "link" or "crossconnect". I remember the discussion that it
should be removed but I haven't noticed any final agreement to do this
so I included it in the schema.

> 4. What's the expected use of the 'type' attribute on 'name'?

I took it from
https://svn.internet2.edu/svn/nmwg/trunk/nmwg/schema/rnc/topo/nmtypes.rnc.

I was trying to be as close to things defined in nmwg's topo stuff as
possible because it seems to me quite complete and exists for few years
(nmtb namespace shows 2007).

Should this base schema be more detailed? I think in few places yes
(e.g., time parameters) but it should be defined and agreed by the NML
group.

Cheers,
Roman