[Nml-wg] Definitions of "Adaptation", "AdaptationType" and "AdaptationService"

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Wed Jan 27 14:21:48 CST 2010

Evangelos Chaniotakis wrote:

>> * Layer: A collection of Ports with common Characteristic Information
>
> So to describe a Layer you have to describe all the Ports that the Layer
> includes?

No, we indeed should define Layer as a property of each Port.

A Layer should stands on it's own, and the word "collection" is probably
not the correct word to use. If you have a suggestions for a better
definition, please do let us know!

(Here are the ITU definitions, I'm certain you can do better than this.

Characteristic information (CI): This is the combination of the adapted
information with additional information (layer information) that is
transported across the network. Some of the layer information can remain
unchanged across the network, though it can be read within the network,
while other layer information may be altered within the network.

Adapted information: Adapted information is the information that is
transported transparently across a server layer network. Adapted
information is the client information encoded in such a manner that it
is transportable across the layer network. This encoding can include
labelling of the client information in order to distinguish the client
information within the context of a single instance of adapted
information. Adapted information is the construct that allows
independence between client and server.

The termination sink function extracts layer specific information (e.g.,
encoding, labelling, fields for sublayer OAM) to create the layer
adapted information. The extracted information is the layer information
(LI), such that the adapted information is equal to the characteristic
information minus the layer information. The operation of the
termination function is independent of the client layer network.
)

Regards,
Freek