[Nml-wg] Notes from Aug 27th Teleconference

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Thu Aug 27 11:05:20 CDT 2009

Agenda:
- Update of the schema document status
- conversation with ITU
- Status of Deliverable #1 and namespace request
- Ports with multiple connections
- NSI
- Topics for OGF 27

Attending:
Chin Guok
Guy Roberts
Aaron Brown
Freek Dijkstra
Paola Grosso
Marcin Wolski
Jeroen van der Ham
Yufeng Xin

Schema document:
Not much happened outside of the schema section. No response from Lars
yet, Freek is still working on use-cases.
Jeroen submitted a new revision, and will continue to work on it.

Comments on the Service:
Aaron: The service element should remain generic, adaptations and
switching are example instances
Freek: Service should not be limited to Node. It will be changed to group.
Freek: Does a service describe capabilities or also configuration?
It was decided that a service description only describes capabilities.
Actual configuration will be describe in a different way.

Conversation with the ITU:
John, Guy and Jeroen had a talk with some people from Ciena about the
ITU standards. These people have been heavily involved in the ITU docs
and provided some good insights. Notes about this call will be forwarded
soon.
They have volunteered to answer more of our questions. So if you have
any after reading the notes, Jeroen can forward questions to them.
Jeroen will also ask them to come to the next OGF meeting.

Deliverable 1 and Namespace status:
Freek: no change.

Multiple connections on a single port:
On the mailinglist we have had a discussion about a use-case where there
is a single port with separate vlan sets that are split outside of the
domain.
At the end of the discussion we agreed that the external party that does
the switching should be modelled as a static configuration.
This brought up the question who should be responsible for topology
descriptions. It was decided that this question is out of scope for NML.
Freek suggested that we turn this into a use-case.

Topics for OGF 27:
Freek requested agenda items for OGF27.
Jeroen volunteered to present the status of the schema deliverable.
We had a discussion about the way to move forward right now and how to
best organise the meetings at OGF.
It was decided that we will have a somewhat regulated discussion. Freek
will pick some issues that are still open on the mailinglist and put
them on the agenda. The idea is that people prepare their points for
these items so we can have a good discussion in the meeting.

As for the decision process, the schema document should now be the
authoritative source of definitions. Any problems or issues with these
definitions should be sent to the mailing list or discussed at the OGF,
along with a proposed change or addition to the document.

Yufeng proposed that as an exercise people should try to model their
network using the current schema. He will try this on their network and
present his findings at the next OGF.

Freek will examine the current issues on the mailinglist and put
together an agenda for the meeting.

Next call:
Is scheduled in two weeks, September 10th, at the same time (14:00 UTC,
16:00 CEST, 10:00 EST, 7:00 PST).