[Nml-wg] Ports with multiple connections?

Paola Grosso p.grosso at uva.nl
Tue Aug 25 08:11:12 CDT 2009

Hi Jeroen
>  Outside of the domain this signal gets split, and both VLAN sets head
> of to their separate destination domains.

This is still unclear to me.
How do you split Ethernet packets travelling on a single cable that are
tagged with different vLANs? This can only occur in a Ethernet device
(the Switching Matrixi in my example). I do not see how you do it
otherwise. So your port needs to go to one other Ethernet port (portB in
my example)

>> At this point you have splitted the vlans and proceed 'normally toward
>> the to the two domains (via portC and portD in my example).
>
> What you describe is what I meant with my third possibility, adding a
> virtual node.

The Switching Matrix is the virtual node, you mean?

> PS. This problem, and many others like it is why I would have
> preferred to have a single layer schema first. We're still hammering
> out the details of the basic elements, but already we're opening new
> cans of worms left and right with the problems of describing
> multi-layer topologies.
True:-)

Paola

ps = in case we take this offline...