[Nml-wg] Spanning tree (was: Transitivity of hasPort)

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Mon Aug 10 10:31:33 CDT 2009

John Vollbrecht wrote:

>>> Things could get ugly if you try and model spanning tree forwarding
>>> rules! ... but fortunately I think (hope) this is not necessary.

> Why is modeling spanning tree hard?  I would think that it would be
> possible to model the presence of spanning tree without knowing  the
> topology of network.

Not hard, ugly. I think it is too detailed to convey to neighbouring
networks (I'm assuming the context of NML and NSI here which is
interdomain messaging and modelling).

The model is reasonable: you have to add the concept of a routing table.
(That would model the MAC layer, not the _presence of_ a spanning tree;
I'm not sure how to model that except with some boolean attribute).

If you think it is useful, please propose a use case and/or extension to
the current schema.

Regards,
Freek