[Nml-wg] Service (was: Transitivity of hasPort)

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Fri Aug 7 09:12:49 CDT 2009

Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> This makes sense, but then I have problems with the word "Service".
>
> A "Service" in my mind is a generic thing that can be provided by many
> providers, it is up to you to pick the service-provider you want.
> In this case we are talking about an action that is specific to this
> device, and will need a unique identifier. Then there cannot be two
> "Services" that are exactly the same.

Yes, we discussed this earlier. There are multiple meanings of the word
"Service". I'm using the term "Service" as it is currently used in the
latest NML schema, which is a "transport processing capability", e.g. a
Switch Matrix. You're thinking about the other meaning of services (as
in Service Provider).

Regards,
Freek