[Nml-wg] URN urn:ogf:network

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Thu Sep 25 08:14:56 CDT 2008

Martin Swany wrote:

> I don't agree that untyped, flat identifiers are more flexible.
> In our scheme, the opaque version could be:
> domain=glif.is, id=2678
>
> But one could also have
> domain=glif.is, gole=foo
> domain=glif.is, node=rembrandt
> domain=glif, subdomain=something
>
> The attributed syntax allows you more flexibility to encode
> semantic info.

No it is less flexible.

Consider:
path           identifier   glif.is:2678
glif.is:2678   node         rembrandt
(Two statements)

And:
path     identifier   "domain=glif.is, node=rembrandt"

In the second case, if the node changes (while the path remains), the
identifier has to change as well. In the first case, the identifier can
remain the same, while a property of the path changes.

Therefor, the first solution is more flexible.

Regards,
Freek