[Nml-wg] URN urn:ogf:network

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Wed Sep 24 12:00:18 CDT 2008

Jeff W. Boote wrote:
> Here I disagree 100%. That is like saying that FQDN's should not have
> any structure or implicit type information etc...

Ah! So what actually underlies this whole discussion is the issue of
naming and addressing. Please, take the time to read:
http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/ien/ien19.txt

The important point there is:

>   The 'name' of a resource indicates *what* we seek,
>
>     an 'address' indicates *where* it is, and
>
> 	a 'route' tells us *how to get there*.

But to come back to FQDNs, yes, they do have a very slight amount of
implicit information. They contain exactly enough information so that,
given a root server, you can resolve the *address* that is associated
with that. Using the addres, you can then figure out a route to it, and
actually get some useful information.

Now, with FQDNs there is no choice, the lookup information has to be
contained within that same term. I argue that in NML there is no need
for this. The lookup part, or any other kind of implicit information,
can be given using a separate property.
The thing is, you are not going to see NML identifiers being handled out
of context. Computer programs are going to need the context to make
sense of it all.

Jeroen.