[Nml-wg] Naming (was: About modelisation of the network description)

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Fri Mar 28 05:41:01 CDT 2008

Schoch wrote, back in 1978:

> The 'name' of a resource indicates *what* we seek, an 'address'
> indicates *where* it is, and a 'route' tells us *how to get there*.

Amen!

Aaron suggested:

> urn:ogf:network:domain=Internet2:node=packrat:port=eth0

Jeroen suggested:

> http://www.internet2.org/i2.rdf#packrat:eth0

The above examples both include *address* information in the *name*.

The URN syntax defines a relation between port and node (eth0 is in
packrat), and between node and domain (packrat is in Internet2).

RDF defines a relation between name and lookup services (#packrat:eth0
can be looked up at http://www.internet2.org/i2.rdf).

We should be careful not to enforce users to include all kinds of
relationships in a name. I would advocate a transport protocol (or
database specification) that not only transmit (defines) names of
objects, but also the explicit relations between different objects.

Regards,
Freek