[Nml-wg] Our schema: contribute to Wiki!

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Tue Mar 18 14:01:39 CDT 2008

Hi Paola,

I don't think that the wiki is very useful for discussions. The mailing
list is better at that. For one thing, I hesitate to change things if I
know there is no clear consensus yet.

Instead, I propose that at the end of a discussion, the participants
take it upon them to summarize their results on the wiki. If there was a
clear consensus, all the better. If there were some controversies, it is
up to them to describe the different points of view on the wiki.

So I, Aaron, and Evangelos (and perhaps Aurélien and John if they have
the coureage) now have a moral obligation to summarize our network /
domain  / view discussion on the wiki, in order to save others the
ordeal of reading our entire flood of mails from two weeks ago.

As I see it now, there are only a couple of more or less orthogonal
areas for discussion:

0) Basics: Interfaces
1) Domain / Network abstraction (incl. views)
2) Devices and switching capabilities
3) Layers (incl. adaptations between layers)
4) Links and paths

(I'll left out the more advanced topics, such as services, location,
etc. for now. Let's tackle those as soon as we covered at least a few of
the above.)

Perhaps we can see if we can structure those discussions a bit.

Regards,
Freek