[Nml-wg] About modelisation of the network description

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Tue Mar 4 11:10:01 CST 2008

Evangelos wrote about the "Model" object:

> Can we call them "Views" instead of "Models"? "Model" is a quite overloaded
> word, especially in a semantic context.
>
> But otherwise, thanks for writing this up. This is really close to work
> currently under development in the IDC project.

Currently, I see two concepts here: an (administrative) network domain,
and a filtered view. The relational difference is that a device can only
be part of ONE "domain", but part of MULTIPLE "views".

Evangelos, does that mean you like to have both a "domain" object
for grouping, and another "view" object that gives you a filtered view
of the contents of this group? Or do you only want one "View" object
that is just some grouping of network elements?

Do we need a third "network" concept for grouping, besides (or instead
of) "domain" and "view"? If so, what would be the relation between
devices and such "network" and how is that different from "domain" or
"view"?

Did the IDC project made such choices already?

(My opinion: I like to see at least an (admin)domain object, and
possibly a "view" object. I don't yet see a need for a "network" object
different from a "domain" object. Nevertheless, Aaron presented exactly
those two, and I love to hear that argument).

Aurélien Cedeyn wrote:

> For me, the "Model" object groups objects which have relation between each
> other, they are "connected". Moreover, this group represent the network
> itself with a particular point of view. I think that with this concept we
> will be able to view cloud or a black-box as a network. Because whatever how
> deeply you describe your network, some information will be masked.

I think that a "domain" object (with each device only part of one
domain) can already have this black-box abstraction. However, the "view"
object is more flexible, and allows either a more detailed view (a
network domain with some more details described) or a more abstract view
(two or three domains abstracted as a single cloud) -- I am not sure how
that would work in practice though, so suggestions are welcome.

> "Does NML have to provide the extreme details of a real network such as patch panel ?"

My opinion: no, but it should be extensible enough so that someone may
later do that. (Perhaps by describing them as "devices" without
switching capability, or by introducing a new object).

Regards,
Freek