[Nml-wg] About modelisation of the network description

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Sat Mar 1 11:44:55 CST 2008

Aurélien Cedeyn wrote:

> I send you a little document that i made which describes a new object in the
> NML : the model object. All the description and motivation about this addon
> are in the attached document.

Aurélien, thank you so much! Very good write down! These are the
contributions that will help the NML workgroup a lot.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you write, although I use different
terms, and I don't understand all details of what your propose yet.
Allow me to ask a bit, so I'll understand.

> The NML goal is to instance modelisations of the real topology. This
> real topology is too complex regarding the description needs of applications,
> some informations are not needed.

True, and true. But I think that modelling of the real topology is only
ONE OF the goals of NML. What you write is that you also like to see NML
capable of describing "modelisations" of the real topology (I would call
it abstractions of the real topology). I wholeheartedly agree that that
should also be another goal of NML.

First a rather academic remark: what exactly is a "real topology" and a
"modelisation" or "abstracted" topology? Most network engineers, even
when asked for the "real topology" will describe fibers and devices, but
still abstract a lot: they often leave out patch panels, and the
internal workings of devices itself: because they either find it
irrelevant (decribing patch panels is only relevant if you care about
inventory management, or power loss details) or because they simply
don't know the information (few people know how exactly devices work on
the component level). In short: nearly everything is already a
"modelisation", although the level of abstraction greatly differs
between each model, and it is there where the discussion starts.

You propose an object "Model" for the abstraction of networks. So far
I've seen "network", "domain" (in the perfSONAR schema),
"abstract_link", "topology_point" (in cNIS), "AdminDomain", and
"NetworkDomain" (NDL). I'm trying to figure out how these relate.

Your examples seems to imply that there can be multiple Model objects
for each domain, one for each abstractions. So the first example has a
model with the layer 2 devices in a network, and a model with the layer
3 device in the same network. Is that correct, or is it a model
describing the layer 2 switching capabilities and a model describing the
layer 3 switching capabilities (rather than the layer 2/3 devices).
The functionality compares to a single AdminDomain in NDL plus two
SwitchMatrix instantiations (describing respectively the layer 2 and
layer 3 switching capabilities), although the object relations are
slightly different.

Your second example is a new thing, which I have not seen before in one
of the schemas discussed on this list. You seem to describe filtered
views of a network. That is an interesting idea, but it seems different
from an "abstracted view" of a network. In my opinion, a filter only
describes part of the resources, while an abstraction describes the
functions of all resources, but leaves out implementation details.

Finally, while you did not describe it in text, your picture has a very
important concept: you want to relate the network description (interco
information) to other resource descriptions ("cluster information" and
"frontend information"). I take it that is a similar concept as what
Cees de Laat is presenting that -in that case RDF- can be used to link
together different resource descriptions (see e.g. slide 20 presented at
OGF 20, http://staff.science.uva.nl/~delaat/talks/cdl-2007-05-07.pdf)

These are 3 different examples (describe capabilities, describe filtered
view, link resources together), I at first did not understand the
relation and what exactly a "Model" object represents. Am I correct that
a "Model" simply means "a collection of resources"? If so, do you
propose that the NML workgroup only describe this "grouping" object, or
would you suggest to describe also dedicated grouping objects (e.g. also
a "network" or "domain" object that describe specific groups of resources).

Regards,
Freek

(PS: sorry for the long mail)