[Nml-wg] More UML....

Martin Swany swany at cis.udel.edu
Thu Jun 26 06:03:50 CDT 2008

Hey Aaron,

>> A Port typically has two uni-directional links to another device, and
>> two uni-directional crossconnects (crossconnects are also links). So
>> then it has two source relations and two sink relations.
>>
> Is a cross-connect a subclass of link?

These are open issues.  I assume that you're asking for Freek
and Jeroen's opinion here, or maybe the output of the discussion.

In my opinion, cross-connect is a specific type of link.  Whether
that is manifested as a subclass depends on whether their
are structural differences in their descriptions that cause them
to require different objects rather than different roles of the same
object.

>> Freek also brought up an example where a SONET switch with an
>> Ethernet
>> interface. If you just look at the Ethernet Layer, this would
>> appear as
>> a Port with links ("actual link links") to two devices.
>>
> What two devices does it have an actual link to? Maybe i'm being
> dense?

I might be being dense as well, but I think this case refers to
a port connecting on the internal side to a cross-connect
(or the backplane) and a regular link on the outside.

best,
martin