[Nml-wg] Adaptations

Martin Swany swany at cis.udel.edu
Thu Jun 26 06:03:48 CDT 2008

Hi John,

This is a great set of questions and get right at the heart
of the problem.

> From what you say, I assume that a logical link between two ports
> would be what in DCN I call a path segment.  A path  segment has uses
> some resource on a physical link.  in this case, each logical link
> then can have an adaptation.  This is ok - but --
>
> where is a physical link described?  how do I know how a physical
> link can be subdivided into dynamic logical links?  how do I create
> an ete circuit that is a concatenation of logical links.  How do I
> name the ete circuit and treat it as an entity that is time variant?

The physical link is described as another link (indicating that
it is physical) and enumerating its characteristics.  Next, we'd
need to describe the relationship between this physical link
and the logical links atop it.  In our model (where "our" is the
topology schema folks in perfSONAR @ Internet2) we have
an element called "relation".  As I think I mentioned, this is
one sense of the "adaptation" concept from the NDL.  At any
rate, we must represent the case you're highlighting.

> These are what seems to me to be needed for DCN, to both create
> reservations and circuits, and to monitor the reservations and
> circuits.

Absolutely.  Hopefully, this begins to address it.

best,
martin