[Nml-wg] PerfSONAR UML schema

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Mon Feb 25 10:24:17 CST 2008

Aaron, Martin,

Thanks for creating the UML schema! It's very useful to start a discussion.

I have two questions.

First, what is the differences between Network and Domain? [1] It was
discussed today, but couldn't really understand the details by phone.

Second, the relation Link-Port in PerfSONAR is different from the
relation Link-Interface in NDL [2]: in PerfSONAR it is many to one,
while in NDL it is one to many. So, I understand that a Port in
PerfSONAR can be connected to multiple links, but a link can only have
one Port. I don't really understand. Can you give me an example?

In NDL, a Link can have multiple Interfaces (typically 2). An interface
is a logical interface, that is only connected to one link. If there
would be multiple links, we would describe that with multiple (logical)
interfaces (or with a BroadcastSegment).

Regards,
Freek

[1] The difference between NetworkDomain and AdminDomain in NDL is that
a NetworkDomain is a collection of network resources, while an
AdminDomain is a collection of people (= an organization!): the people
or organization that is responsible for managing the resources. The
resources of an AdminDomain are not limited to network resources, but
could also include CPU, storage, vizualization, services, etc.

[2] A Link in NDL is a special case of a BroadcastSegment: a broadcast
segment with exactly two interfaces.

--
Disclaimer: This is an e-mail message. Use your own judgment about its
value. If you do not have such common sense (e.g. you are a lawyer) or