[Nml-wg] Tube Terminology

Aaron Brown aaron at internet2.edu
Fri Apr 4 10:12:50 CDT 2008

Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>> A subnetwork connection is a link or network connection that you view
>> as opaque, correct? I.e. I've got a connection between these two
>> points, i either don't know or don't care how it's constructed. If
>> so, would "opaque connection" be a more clear description?
>
> Sure -- I'm certainly not saying that I'm a big fan of every word G805
> come up with. However, there is a slight difference: a subnetwork
> connection is a opaque connections *through a given network*.
What is 'network' in this context?

> To recap:
> * link connection is a direct (or atomic) connection on a layer
>   (think: link).
> * tandem connection is a sequence of link connections
>   (think: a path or a segment of a path)
> * network connection is a tandem connection that will be terminated
>   (think: a end-to-end path)
Ok, the only issue I have is the differentiation between a tandem and
network connection. They both seem to be paths, and the differentiating
factor is what happens to the data after it leaves the connection (does
it get forwarded on at the same layer, or does it get demux'd or adapted
up to a higher layer).

Cheers,
Aaron