[Nml-wg] UML schema for NDL

Freek Dijkstra fdijkstr at science.uva.nl
Mon Dec 3 10:50:06 CST 2007

Hi,

If the list allows attachments, this mail contains a PDF with NDL
represented in UML.

Allow me to quickly guide you through it. The different colours
represent different schema (topology, layer, domain, capability and
physical schema). You will see a slight gray band; this may serve as a
guide: it represents a hierarchy:
- At the top administrative domains, thus organizations offering services.
- Each admin domain may contain one or more network domains; abstract
representations of the data plane.
- Network Domains can contain one or more Devices.
- Devices may contain one or more SwitchMatrices, each representing the
dynamic switching capability at a specific layer.
- Networks, Devices, and SwitchMatrices contain one or more Interfaces.
All Interfaces are *logical* interfaces, not physical interfaces.

The superclass of Interfaces is Connection Points; we distinguish between:
- static interfaces (e.g. a laser at a specific wavelength)
- configurable interfaces (e.g. a tunable laser)
- a potential mux interface; a "shorthand" notation to specify many
equal interfaces. E.g. the 4096 possible logical interfaces for each
VLAN in a tagged Ethernet interface.
- an instantiated mux interface. An instantiation of a potential mux
interface (e.g. a configured VLAN).

We are happy with the way we represent layers and adaptation between
(logical) interfaces: each is specified by 3 properties: the server
interface, the client interface, and the (type of) adaptation (e.g.
1000base-X or 10Gbase-R for Ethernet over Fiber).

We still struggle with the "horizontal" connections between interfaces:
the linkTo, and connectedTo, and Link objects. linkTo is a shorthand to
describe two "directly connected" interfaces (a link connection).
"connectedTo" describes a more abstracted connection between two
interfaces (a network connection; there may be hops in between). The
Link and BroadcastSegment allow explicit description of Links.

If you have any more questions, please ask!

Finally, I've been talking a bit about ITU-T recommendation G.805. We've
put a short introduction to G.805 online:
http://www.science.uva.nl/~fdijkstr/publications/G805-introduction.pdf
(it lacks the final layout, but the text is ready).

Regards,
Freek, Jeroen and Paola