[Nml-wg] Metrics for pathfinding

Paul Boven boven at jive.nl
Thu Jun 6 10:51:55 EDT 2013

L.S.,

In the current version of the NML specification, as presented today at
the GLIF/OGF meeting, I noticed that there is no provision for assigning
metrics to links or ports. To support pathfinding in NSI (which uses NML
for its topology description), it would be very useful to include
attributes for such metrics. Without any such information,
intercontinental links are just as likely to be used in an NSI path as
local links, which would be a waste of scarce international bandwidth.

At first glance, I would suggest adding attributes such as length,
weight (preference) and bandwidth - as NML is extensible, should such
extensions be coordinated by the NML-WG, or extensions that NSI
themselves could create? Given the basic nature of these attributes, it
would probably be best to have them centrally registered, to prevent
multiple, incompatible versions (Length in m or km? Bandwidth in b/s or
Mb/s?) from occurring.

Regards, Paul Boven.