[Nml-wg] PortGroups and Labels for IP/MAC

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Mon May 14 08:05:36 EDT 2012

I Have some comments I will just list:

a.) How would you describe a flow space?   If you are identifying VLANs
and other virtual flow identifiers, we should consider how combinations
of frame characteristics could identify a specific topological link (or
"flow") Can we bind these to define a single flow identifier.  This is
obviously a question of how NML applies in OpenFLOW architectures...?

b) A similar question for optical wave bands.  Bands are variable width
optical spectrum  rather than fixed single wave ITU channels.  They can
be optically tuned and routed - effectively routing whole groups of
waves.  I don't know specifically how the bands are officially defined
(continuous frequency ranges or discrete granularity).  But there is
hardware that support such wave bands today...

c) Has there been any discussion about the use of the TPID field
(ethertype) in the ethernet frame for topological link characterization
purposes?  A physical link may be hard wired to be 802.3 framed by merit
of the interface.  But the behaviour of the frames - and sometimes the
format of those frames - is dependent upon the Ethertype field
(TPID).    For instance, many protocols have TPIDs reserved - IPv4,
IPv6, ARP, tagged frames, doubly tagged frames, etc.  The implication is
that the physical 802.3 transport framing may carry *many* different
types of streams which are differentiated by the TPID field. Our notions
of single VLANs as connections really means TPID=8100 && VLAN=x. 802.1Q
VLANs and PBB are simply particular subsets of possible wire framing.
What is the abstract definition that NML uses to define a topologically
significant link layer connection?     As Freek alludes, [virtual]
labels are part of the  information that identify the topological
link/connection/...

d) The proposed notion of PortGroups sounds like it addresses an issue
that NSI was sparring with - If an ingress/egress endpoint of a link or
connection is identified by the topological n-tuple that uniquely
identifies the characteristics of datagrams belonging to that "flow",
then you have this issue of potentially thousands, or hundreds of
thousands, of endpoints associated with each link - and different
subsets of the n-tuple defining different groups or flows.  IMO, looking
at the n-tuple in the abstract, and defining Ports, or port groups, as
formal terminal groupings of varous n-tuple permutations, has merit.
So I think it is useful to work on this notion (!)

e) Finally, With respect to Aaron's comments about Ports that don't
exist (:-) (...I hope I understand the context properly...) - but they
*do* actually exist.  Just because they are virtual ports or virtual
endpoints, or not yet assigned to a crossconnect does not make them
immaterial or non-existent.  I think this goes to a widespread gut sense
that virtual ports makes topology DBs too big...   I agree that this
"feels" inelegant, but IMO this is not a scaling issue.  I think we
confuse a couple issues that makes us think it all becomes intractable
or ineffiecient:  first, managing large groups of [virtual] endpoints is
a data base issue, and nothing we are thinking of exceeds present
database capabalities to do this.  Second, there are effieicent ways to
optimize the management o these resources for sparse utilization or for
high utilization.   Third, is pathfinding - as we increase the degree of
fan-out of our topological nodes, we get an exponential increase in the
theoretical time to perform a PF search - if we use the same
O(n^3)algorithms.  So the theoretical complexity of the problem has not
changed with increase endpoints, just our expected runtime increases.
Fourth, if you define a zillion endpoints in your network, it is
presumably because you think you may need them...right?  And if you
think there is a likelyhood that you will actually use them, then you
still have the problem of managing them as they are allocated.  So if
they are potential for allocation, we have to manage them, so we still
have the problem.    Fifth, with the increase in degree of the virtual
topological fanout, we have a problem of coherency - how do we
communicate state changes of these endpoints to PFs in a global network
who may want to consider using these endpoints?  It begs the question of
- does every PF need to know about every state change or every
endpoint?  If not, how would this work?   These are hard issues, and
frankly these are the issues that have caused previous attempts at
connections oriented topology management and path finding to be deemed
impractical.  So making sure we understand how we intend to use the
topology information is critical - and defining processes that properly
implement those uses is far more important than worrying about the size
of the topology DB.  IMO.  :-)

Thanks!
Jerry