[Nml-wg] recursive topologies

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Mon Mar 5 05:52:25 EST 2012

Hi guys-  Thanks for writing this up Freek.   Comments in line...

On 3/5/12 4:18 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4 Mar 2012, at 13:55, Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last Friday Jerry and I had a short conversation. Jerry's idea is to
>> define recursive topologies, as he described in his slides to the list.
>>
>> He convinced me that this is a great concept, as it allows for simple
>> topology abstraction.
>>
>> While I wholeheartedly support the idea, I like to describe the concept
>> before giving a concrete proposal for changing the NML schema.
>> 1. Connecting the (sub)topologies
>> 2. Hierarchical identifiers
>> 3. Updates and Versioning
>>
>> Feedback is highly appreciated.
>>
>> 1. Connecting the (sub)topologies
> I agree with this idea, and the option of defining aliases. This makes for a more stable inter-domain topology.
> I would suggest that we allow abstracted topologies to contain some hints regarding internal availability.
I don't mind doing something like this as long as it is an optional
announcement by the local network.  Thus a network can announce what
they are comfortable announcing.  And an external path finder agent can
gather as much topology as they can acquire.    I think some of the
internal availability announcements become less important if we modified
the Reservation Request to more acurately reflect the desired
constraints - in particular to loosen the endpoint speciications to
allow some selection criteria on a set of available endpoints.   But
this latter approach is an issue for NSI, not really NML.
>> 2. Hierarchical identifiers
> No thanks.
Hmm...why that reaction?  :-)

I am on the fence on this.   I don't think we implemented URNs well in
the current RDF/OWL topology.   The global nature seems awkward...  I
just think we probably did not leverage the namespaces of the URNs
effectively.

>> 3. Updates and Versioning
> In the Automated GOLE experiments I've found that being able to see a version of the topology used would be a nice feature. Currently the demo still uses a centralized topology, so knowing the used version is more important. Still, knowing when your neighbor last updated their topology can help debugging issues. So I think it would be a nice feature to have, although not necessarily something that we'd include in the schema itself though.
I concur that we need to transition the topology management to the
networks/GOLEs themselves as soon as we can - this is the right thing to
do.   But to do that, we should also have a well considered plan for how
we expect NSAs to construct their world views - and have all NSA
developers implement this as part of the transition.  There is no urgent
rush - better to think it though first.    I would vote for the basic
approach that each NSA builds a world view from direct neighbors and
then they announce their world view,  rather than each domain simply
announcing only their own local topology.   I think the world view
approach will scale better.    Thoughts?

The version timestamp is useful I think when we move to the distributed
mechanism.   If you want to suggest a RDF predicate, I can add it into
the present topology.   I think the idea was that we could use
timestamps to date each nested block of information...so that merging
them could be done based on block timestamp rather than a more complex
parser analysis.