[Nml-wg] Label sets

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Thu Jun 28 12:06:34 EDT 2012

Hey Andrew,

>>> <vlanRangeAvailability>3800-3809</vlanRangeAvailability>
>
> [..] Discontinuous ranges can be separated by commas
> (3000-3250,3500,3750-4000). Its pretty easy to parse, generally we do a
> couple splits on commas and dashes.

Thanks. This indeed is easy enough, so let's go for this option.

> Dashes and commas are the only special characters that OSCARS allows.

This disallows negative numbers.

Paranoid sanity check: would there ever be a technology that allows
negative numbers as labels?

The only thing I can imagine if one would describe the central frequency
of G.694.1 (DWDM) as "0", positive numbers for frequencies above 193.1
THz (thus wavelengths below 1552.52 nm), and negative numbers for
frequencies below 193.1 THz (wavelengths above 1552.52 nm).

I don't think this is an issue -- it is easy enough to use wavelength or
frequency to avoid negative numbers, and GMPLS also does not list any
negative label at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/gmpls-sig-parameters/gmpls-sig-parameters.xml.

Proposal 2-bis:
* Use the syntax with dashes and commas as described in proposal 2.
* Explicitly forbid negative labels to avoid parsing errors later.

OK?