[Nml-wg] NML version of AutoGOLE

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Thu Jul 12 04:49:20 EDT 2012

I gave some input for the AutoGOLE and NSI folks to turn their existing
topology descriptions into NML.

In that process, Jeroen, Henrik and Roman where so kind to provide feedback.

Here is my reply to some of Roman's feedback (quoted on-list with his
permission):

>>   xmlns:nml="http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/base/"

> <!-- RL: I would coinsider removing the month part from the namespace string. -->
> <!--     It doesn't give us anything, just additional field in the string. An example: http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/201010/base/ -->

I have no objection, but this was already decided upon.

Let me quote from the meeting notes of OGF 30 in Brussels:
https://forge.ogf.org/sf/go/doc16105

> Proposed namespace (after GFD-C.084) is http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/base/
> Jason counter proposal http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/base/2013/10/
> (where 2013/10 is year/month of schema publication)
>
> Rough consensus on:
> - http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/base/2013/10/ (Jason's proposal)

So it seems I was wrong too (I should have used base before the date).
Otherwise, I don't think that your argument is strong enough to change
it anymore, so let's use "http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/base/2013/10/"
(where 2013/10 is year/month of schema publication).

>>         <nml:name xml:lang="en">Northernlight</nml:name>
>
> <!-- RL: Do we want to use namespaces for attributes. I would  say "yes" but  for very specific cases. -->
> <!--     For "lang" I would not. -->

xml:lang is a standard construct to signify the language of the element
(string) value. See section 2.12 of the XML specification
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-lang-tag).

"xml:lang" is really fairly common. It's one of the only 4 attributes
listed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML, and in fact it's so common a
fair slew of people use it in HTML, even though it has no effect there
(source:
https://developers.google.com/webmasters/state-of-the-web/2005/pageheaders).

Since it is so common, I see no reason not to use it.

>>         <dtox:managedBy idRef="urn:ogf:network:nordu.net:2011:NORDUnet:org"/>

> <!-- RL: no definition of "urn:ogf:network:nordu.net:2011:NORDUnet:org" in this file -->
> <!--     Of course it could be possible that a xml document is split so definitions can be located somewhere else. -->

This is caused by a typo.

The original URN was "urn:ogf:network:nsa:northernlight", but since this
doesn't confirm to the urn:ogf:network spec
(https://forge.ogf.org/svn/repos/urn-ogf-docs/urn-ogf-network/), I
changed it. Unfortunately, I forgot to rename the target identifier.

[...]
> <!-- RL: I would change the type value into http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/relation/isAlias  -->
> <!-- RL: a typo below; should be "http://schemas.ogf.org/nml/2013/10/relation/hasInboundPort  -->

Both were typos and will also be fixed.