[Nml-wg] NML Relations 1: formal definition

Freek Dijkstra Freek.Dijkstra at sara.nl
Mon Jul 9 09:04:26 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Currently, an NML Relation is defined as a relation between Network Objects.

This is a problem for relations between non-Network Objects, like the
"locatedAt" relation which related a Network Object to a Location.
However, Location is not a subclass of Network Object. Hence, this
relation is formally invalid. Another example is in RDF, where the
"next" relation is used between List Items, which are not Network Objects.

We can solve this three ways:
1) Make every a subclass of a Network Object
2) Remove the restriction that a NML Relation must be between Network
Objects.
3) Make a distinction between NML Relation and other type of Relations.

For simplicity sake, I propose solution (2). A NML Relation (if we still
like to define such beast) would be "any relation that is defined by the
NML specs" rather than "any relation between two NML Network Objects".