[Nml-wg] source/sink versus ingress/egress (was: Example topology of Automated GOLE)

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Fri Feb 17 11:18:27 EST 2012

Hi Freek-

Regarding the "connectedTo" or "mapsTo" terms in the NSI topology, those
could be different strings if NML is already using them in a different
sense.   We could in NSI use the term "sharesInterfaceWith" or
"internallyTranslatesTo" for each of those respectively.   THis ould be
a minor change for us.

More important to NSI is that there be the /semantics/ that those
relations represent.

On a slightly different issue -
I saw a comment somewhere (maybe the minutes of THursday's call?) that
said NSI was not using the SDP relations...  This is wrong.   NSI very
much uses SDPs in the current topology.

SDPs are represented within an STP object with a "connectedTo" relation
referencing another STP object.   Here is a OWL snippet:
<owl:NamedIndividual
rdf:about="urn:ogf:network:stp:northernlight.ets:poz-1">
<rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.glif.is/working-groups/tech/dtox#STP"/>
<connectedTo rdf:resource="urn:ogf:network:stp:pionier.ets:cphb"/>
</owl:NamedIndividual>
In this snippet, NorthernLight STP "poz-1" is in an SDP relationship
with the Pionier STP "cphb".   The Snippet is the STP object defined for
NothernLight.    A mirror image STP is defined in Pionier.   Thus a path
finder traversing the networks in either direction will easily see the
SDP relation.

There may be better ways to represent the SDP, this was what we did for
the fall...We can discuss others...

The NSI topological _/representation/_ (i.e. the OWL/RDF form) could
take other forms that we currently have as long as the semantics of the
three key NSI objects are preserved: NSI Networks (service domains),
STPs (edge ports/points), and SDPs (adjacencies).   These are I think
represented in NML, though there is probably a different notion of
"link" vs "SDP" that we need to reconcile...and maybe some of the
mechanics of the "port" vs "STP" ...  These notions are very close.

Jerry