[Nml-wg] NML terminology: Port vs Interface

Martin Swany swany at iu.edu
Tue Sep 27 09:26:02 CDT 2011

Hi all,

There is a little more background here that I don't think that it's
been touched on.  I apologize if so.

The NM-WG initially used the term interface in the topology schema.
When the OSCARS/perfSONAR group was trying to harmonize with
the GN2-JRA3 effort, for what would be the Interdomain Controller
Protocol, this was one of the points discussed.  The JRA3 group
had used port in its design documents.  I remember Mauro Campanella
defending the choice and making many of the same points that Jason
did.  So, as is part of consensus building, we adapted and took this
back to the NMWG.

I personally preferred interface when starting out, but was won
over by port.  First, we "lost" the debate.  Next, it's shorter to type
and there is a time-honored tradition of lazy typists. :-) Lastly, I
agree with the arguments for using port and I find it slightly more
accurate when I compare the relevant dictionary entries.

That said, it's not a big enough deal for me to post the dictionary
entries and try to argue through them.  What I will say is that if we
don't agree and then stick to the agreement, there will always be a
group who will prefer a different term for the same concept.  As far as
GENI goes, I don't think that the resource specification discussion is
far enough along to say that the are settled firmly on interface.

best,
martin