[Nml-wg] XML Example

Jeroen van der Ham vdham at uva.nl
Mon Oct 10 09:23:12 CDT 2011

Hi,

I looked through the XML examples again while trying to create the RDF (N3) versions of them, and I have a couple of comments and questions:

- The current nmlbase.xml example has (de)adaptation services, but they don't seem to be related to anything. Is this on purpose?
- The nml:name property has a "type=hostname" attribute now. I don't think we've defined this in NML yet, do we want to add a hostname property?
- Similarly, the definition of the service has a type "broadcastSwitchingType", I'm not sure how to solve this.
- Convention in RDF is to start classnames with a capital letter, and use CamelCase. Is it custom in XML to use lowercase? How do we solve this?
- If we define "hasInboundPort" and "hasOutboundPort" for SwitchingServices, why not for Nodes too?
- We have a problem with "/" in the current URNs, quoting from RFC2141[0]

> 2.3.2 The other reserved characters
>
>    RFC 1630 [2] reserves the characters "/", "?", and "#" for particular
>    purposes. The URN-WG has not yet debated the applicability and
>    precise semantics of those purposes as applied to URNs. Therefore,
>    these characters are RESERVED for future developments.  Namespace
>    developers SHOULD NOT use these characters in unencoded form, but
>    rather use the appropriate %-encoding for each character.

This really is a problem, because for example a popular N3/RDF validator[1] throws parsing errors on these identifiers.

Jeroen.

[0]: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2141
[1]: http://www.rdfabout.com/demo/validator/