[Nml-wg] urn:ogf:network specification

Aaron Brown aaron at internet2.edu
Mon May 9 09:34:45 CDT 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> On 07/05/2011 23:14, Freek Dijkstra wrote:
>>> Compatibility with GLIF and perfSONAR usage
>>>
>>> The current syntax is compatible with both current usage, although it is
>>> now specified that recipients of a URN SHOULD NOT interpret the local
>>> part. This is a change from the existing use.
>>>
>>> Also, the document specifies that the following two URNs are NOT lexical
>>> equivalent. I have no opinion on this. Should this be equivalent or not?
>>> - urn:ogf:network:example.net:path:2011-0418
>>> - urn:ogf:network:domain=example.net:path:2011-0418
> I think the "domain=" part is superfluous in the way that we now
> construct identifiers. In order to reduce cruft and burden the urn with
> legacy from the start, I say that we make them inequivalent.

I concur with the above. It'd be good, in general, to not have any weird special cases so that comparing URNs is a generic string comparison instead of "does A = B? no. If I change A from domain=, does A match B? ...". There are a few references containing example URNs with the "domain=" aspect. It'd probably just be good to strip them out.

>>> International Characters
>>> ------------------------
>>>
>>> No international characters are allowed. I actually worked out a solid
>>> schema (using RFC 5982 and NFKD normalisation that would allow quite a
>>> few code points, but still have a very simple URN comparison -- no
>>> decoding required.), but decided not to use it.
> I have no opinion on this, but the comments on the IETF list make sense.

As someone whose keyboard makes it awkward to type most international characters, I'm more than happy to only allow non-international characters :) . Would this preclude any domains with international characters in their names as well (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name)?

Cheers,
Aaron

> Jeroen.

Summer 2011 ESCC/Internet2 Joint Techs
Hosted by the University of Alaska-Fairbanks
http://events.internet2.edu/2011/jt-uaf